Attend a Refugee Cultural Night
We have quarterly cultural nights where you can learn from refugees about their experiences.
If you have a group larger than 5, please sign up on the “Cultural Night” link. Our next cultural night will be in April of 2023.
Date:Wed, April 26th
2500 S State St
Salt Lake City
There are approximately
living in Utah
Refugees in Utah come from
Over the past decade, Utah has welcomed
1,100 refugees each year
In 2017, the number dropped to 300
The largest groups are
Iraqi, Bosnian, Somali, and Sudanese
- The UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) - Refugee Resettlement Facts
- The University of Utah's Center on Migration and Refugee Integration
- Utah Department of Health's Resources about Local Refugee Health & Wellness
- University of Utah's 2014 Utah Refugee Needs Assessment: Employment and Education
- The UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) - Figures at a Glance
- Who is a Refugee? - UNHCR
- Process of Entering the US as a Refugee | VOA News
- The Refugee Crisis is a Test of our Character | David Miliband | TED
- No One Means to be a Refugee | Feroz Mohmand & Gharghashta Katawazai | TEDxOmaha
- Meet A Refugee | Alexandra Tarzikhan | TEDxTufts
- Utah's Ongoing Demographic Transformation: A View Fifty Years into the Future | Pamela Perlich
Local ProvidersSEE ALL PROVIDERS >
How does the US decide which refugees to admit?
The U.S. State Department and U.S. Justice Department conduct background checks and interviews with each refugee before they are admitted. Refugees also are given medical tests to determine if they have any contagious diseases such as tuberculosis. They are tested again when they arrive in the U.S. to guard against fraudulent or false results.
Who do I contact to find a refugee family/individual in need of mentoring?
You may contact Asian Association, International Rescue Committee, Catholic Community Services, or contact us and we will help find you find the right program.
Who decides how many refugees can come into the US?
Each year, the President sets a ceiling for refugee admissions. He bases his recommendations on information provided by world refugee relief organizations, including the United Nations, and in consultation with Congress as well as Federal officials who oversee refugee services. Since 2002, the ceiling has been set at 70,000 per year. This ceiling was changed again in 2017 when the Trump administration cut that number down to approximately 23,000.
How are the refugees introduced to America?
Refugees are assigned a case manager through either International Rescue Committee or Catholic Community Services, the organization that assisted in bringing them here to America. This case manager will assist in introducing the refugee to America. This is also where mentors from within the community are extremely beneficial to help the refugees integrate more successfully into the community.